rebuilding davrians

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
Hal Mercier

Re: rebuilding davrians

Post by Hal Mercier »

Hi Dave, Thanks for the confirmation....I just had a reply from Tim Duffee saying the same thing! Much better than the Girling 14 Spitfire front type, which weigh 3.195kg without pads.

Did you by any chance weigh the Sierra units? Tim says they "Aren't very heavy" but I am trying to keep unsprung weight as low as possible and there is a VW/Audi single pot unit with handbrake which is all alloy so should be very light.

Here's the rear on the Mk 7....not a pretty sight.

These are Girling type 14 pig-iron units, 3.25kg apiece, and the handbrake cable is attached by the correct clevis and splitpin to....a hole in the end of the trailing arm.....not very effective.

Dave, why are you using the .625" MC for the front brakes? Are you also using one for the clutch?

I found my helper had fitted a .625" on my front circuit, and a .70 on the rear, with another .70 on the clutch.....which definitely should be a .625".

I think this should be .70 on each brake circuit with a .625 on the clutch...

A .625" MC will give higher pad pressure for the same input, not very useful on a Davrian normally, and as far as I can see, if you are using a standard bias box arrangement, it'd be better if both MCs were identical.....then if you want more front pressure you just move the bias bar.
davrian6140

Post by davrian6140 »

Hal, the front discs are ford xr2 vented and x drilled with wildwood calipers
the brake pedal feel is very good not to much pressure to lock up front and
back wheels. I think that the area of the pads is important in the equation
The ratio is 65% rear 35% front this stops the front locking up on normal
heavy braking I have found. The clutch is the std .625 mc. I think like
all davrians they are not the same . I wish you well with your rebuld
and if I can help drop me a line.
Dave
Dave Cooper
davrian6140

Mk6a DAV 373H
Hal Mercier

Post by Hal Mercier »

Thanks Dave,

Wilwood are nice....I'd probably have used something similar but the white car was built specifically for Historic racing, so brakes have to be period. For the Mk 7 I can be more flexible, if I can't make the Golf alloy single pots work on the rear, I may use Hi-Spec 2 pot rears for cable handbrakes, they don't seem wildly expensive and are seriously light, at under 1kg.

Any recent pix of your blue car? Did you finish it?