rebuilding davrians

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
davrian6140

rebuilding davrians

Post by davrian6140 »

As I get used to a computer if there is any body out there who would like to
know some of my mods to davrians in the past I am more than happy to try
and help. I am a precision eng. and now restore vintage and classic cars for my living
and problem solving plays a big part.
All the best

davrian6140
Dave Cooper
davrian6140

Mk6a DAV 373H
Blade

Re: rebuilding davrians

Post by Blade »

Hi, you may remember me as the one who is restoring an ex Pat Lonhurst mk5 with an R1 engine fitted. After waiting almost 2 years to get it painted I have at last collected it from the body shop. Unfortunately after starting work on it I am finding parts missing that are, I believe are specific to Imps such as the nuts and bolts that hold the rear suspension to the cross member. I don't suppose you would have any lying around or if anyone else is reading this maybe they could help? Really need to get this sorted as I promissed the other half that we will be using it as our wedding car this year.
redgwick1

Post by redgwick1 »

Regarding the bolts that hold the trailing arms to the rear crossmember, I reamed the holes out slightly with a 12.5 mm drill and a right angled drive, then used M12 bolts which are reasonably easy to scource from a fastenings supplier.

I used A2(stainless steel) to stop them rusting in ,but if you use them put a touch of lubrication on the treads before you put the nuts on or they may 'pic up' and sieze before yo get them tight.Vaselene or grease works fine.

I've used this idea with lots of parts on the suspension,but some are specificly unf .

These are often available via the dredded E bay if you know the length and thread type.

If that fails try the imp club parts coordinator,who has stocks of all kinds of imp parts.

Good luck.

Tony Redgwick
intrepid
Site Admin

Post by intrepid »

Is it wise to use Stainless Steel - I thought stainless tended to be brittle and therefore could snap under load?

A friend of mine used stainless bolts on a rebuild of his brake calipers and they snapped on a track day!
redgwick1

Post by redgwick1 »

I hope this is not the case,I have used A2 (stainless steel) bolts extensively on my Mk 5.

Perhaps your friend had them way to tight,who knows?

I would be interested to hear any other comments on this thread, particularly if it was not just 'a friend of a friend' sort of comment.

The only down side that I have experienced is that the threads can bind solid occasionally if you assemble the nut and bolt dry.
Dave6091

Post by Dave6091 »

Hi Tony,

I considered using stainless only when putting my mk6 together and contacted a guy who deals in stainless fittings and is a member if another car club i belong to. Firstly i hadn't realised the total no of bolts, nuts and washers a whole Davrian consumes as i've never replaced all of them in one go before!. Secondly i didn't know just how many variations of SS bolt there are, some of the larger bolts with a high nickel content for hardness were around six quid each!!!. Total bill would have been over £250 even with 'mates' discount!. Needless to say i ended up using normal high tensile bolts with plenty of copperslip and nickel plated washers, i rekon they should see me out!.
I'm sure Mr Google will help to check out your bolt specs.

D.
davrian6140

Post by davrian6140 »

here are some pictures of what i've done so far

Dave Cooper
davrian6140

Mk6a DAV 373H
davrian6140

Post by davrian6140 »

Hi Davrianites. Has any body converted the drive shafts to constant velocity joints as I have? see picture.
have they given any , vibrations etc. having not driven the car it would be nice to know. will put more pics
up soon.
davrian6140
Dave Cooper
davrian6140

Mk6a DAV 373H
Danny

Post by Danny »

Hello,

My name is Danny and I am new at this forum. I am from Holland and I have a Davrian wich still has to be restored. My dad bought the car for me when I was 16....I am 42 now...(Normally you wouldn't ask a woman for her age but just to show you how long I have the car in my possession)
We think it must be a Mk 1 or Mk 2. On the registration document it says the car is from 18-08-1969, the chassis number is LT094. The registration plate was/is ERA 4H.
I don't know yet what I want to do with the car. Do I sell it or restore it? We have our own restoration company but I lack the time. I do however would like to find out what the car would be worth and what Mk it is? The car has been in storage in our workshop for over 15 years now, it's dry and warm but very hard to reach as she is standing on a high floor in the workshop. I will try to make some pictures soon and maybe this forum can help me with some answers.

CU, Danny
Dave6091

Post by Dave6091 »

Dave,
Your car is going to look fabtastic when it's finished (hurry up!), seeing other pics on the forum and some that Tony (redgwick) has sent me of his mk5 means there's going to be some superb Davrians out on the streets in the coming year. I had to smile at the years gap between photos, it seems that's how proper Davs are built!.
Have your driveshafts got cv's on both ends?, i have a set which have cv on the inners and uj's on the outers and can't decide whether to fit them or not.

Danny,
Being a sad bloke i have a list of all Davrian chassis no's, some with reg no's and most with the name of the first owners and other info on history. Your chassis no LT094 doesn't look correct if you think it may be an early car as car no 94 would be an early Mk5 and the only chassis no with an 094 in it is a Mk6. Is the original chassis plate still with the car?, the first owners name is often on it and i may be able to match it. Pic's of course will help!.

D.