advice on brake set up?

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
neil jones

advice on brake set up?

Post by neil jones »

Just wondered what folks views are on brakes for road use only Mk5 Davrian.
Currently vg 95 drum (no servo). Any great benefit in fitting imp club CVK13 front discs? Would a servo be necessary?
Thanks, Neil
Dave6091

Re: advice on brake set up?

Post by Dave6091 »

When i first started driving my Mk6 (nearly 40 years ago!..bloody hell!) i had a sunbeam sport engine and found the drums more than adequate for spirited whizzing about. I stayed with drums for a long while even with a 998 and R17 but put front discs on when i switched to twin 40's and an R21 more to combat fade as i was arriving at bends rather quicker!. I did once try a servo with the sport .7 master cylinder but took it off as it was all too easy to lock the fronts on such a light car.
Davrian 4 wheel discs with a balance bar means you can out brake practically anything should the need arise!.

Dave.
neil jones

Post by neil jones »

OK Dave, many thanks for the info.
cheers
Neil
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

I have run both on my Mk5 on the track(days) and road, my drums I ran with VG95 linings and my current front disc set up is the Fiesta disc and calipers supplied by Colin Valentine from the Imp Club, for both road and track performance is very similar, on the track I can get both set up to start to fade but only if I push very hard, having said that I am only running off the shelf Mintex, a change to yellow stuff would I'm sure sort any fade out on the disc set up.

The main advantage as I'm sure you know is with the minimal maintenance required for a disc set up, no adjustment required so fit and forget compared to needing to readjust the drums after a track session, also availability of comp pads vs trying to obtain comp linings (I think I had the last NOS set of VG95 linings from Imp Club Spares), for these 2 reasons a disc conversion is for me a no brainer.

All I need to do now is sort out a rear disc conversion and a balance bar, but to be honest the rears with VG95 linings seem to be doing a good enough job (is the dry).

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Mark