Mk7a Info

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
Piers Phillips

Mk7a Info

Post by Piers Phillips »

Hi All,
Just wondered if anyone van help with any information or pictures regarding the engine fitment on a Davrian Mk7a (Imp)
I have recently bought a Mk7 and the back end has been butchered to fit a Bike engine. I want to run the car up the hills back in Imp engine form and wondered how to sort it all out
Piers
Hal Mercier

Re: Mk7a Info

Post by Hal Mercier »

The front of the gearbox fits into the centre of the original Imp cross member on two rubber mounts, with two bolts.

You should have the central part of the OE crossmember attached to the shell, with the trailing arms of the suspension fitted not to the crossmember as on an Imp, but to special Davrian brackets either side of the central part of the crossmember, which was sectioned to provide wider track on the Mk 7.

The rear of the engine is simply suspended by one point from the original Imp alloy engine mount, with its rubber bush.

Very simple three point mounting.The mount is attached to the rear end of the A frame you can see here. As long as you still have the A frame and the central part of the Imp crossmember, you should be OK.

Best of luck, nice to hear of another Imp based Mk 7 being reawoken...

Is the car road registered? What's the chassis number?

Any PIX?

These pix aren't very informative but I can take more if you need them...these are pre-digital.

Some digital pix follow. Click to enlarge.

Starting with this, the central section of an Imp suspension crossmember should still be on the car. You can see the lower corners slant, the gearbox nose mounts fit to the inner faces of the slanting corners.

a gearbox nose mount....bad focus!

Gearbox mount bolt, easy to see.....no I don't recall why it's painted fluo pink but it does make it easy to see what I'm talking about.

Here's the Imp engine support mount, which is hung under the tail plate of the A frame on a Mk 7.

another shot....the Imp engine mount goes under that horizontal flat plate.

...and here it is on a Mk 4, it's sitting on the metal frame inside the rear bodywork, which I made removable on this car. This shows how much smaller the Mk 4 is....there's a fair bit of space behind the engine mount on the Mk 7.

Piers Phillips

Post by Piers Phillips »

Hi Hal,
Thx for the info and pictures. Its a massive help and has already got me on the road to recovery. My plan is to put the car back to its original guise as a Modsports Car and use it on the hills and in Sprints. Stuart @ Rodwell has my engine currently and I have a JK ready to bolt in. Theres a bit of work to do but Im sure it will be worth it.
I am thinking of putting a bubble on the roof as Im 6'4 and think it will be a bit of a squeeze fitting in. I have no info and cant find a chassis number anywhere at the moment. Although Im pretty certain of the cars history .
My email is p13rsp@aol.com.

Look forward to seeing a few more pics!

Piers
Attachments
Kit Car Advert jpeg (1).jpg
Kit Car Advert jpeg (1).jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 6031 times
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

Hi Piers,
Welcome to the forum, as Hal says good news that another Davrian is heading in the right direction.

I don't know where you live, but you are more than welcome to have a nose around my Dav (albeit a Mk5) if you are in or around the Frome area (nr Bath).

Cheers
Piers Phillips

Post by Piers Phillips »

Hi Nugget,
Im based at Silverstone in Northants but will defo be in touch if I'm over your way. Let the rebuild commence !

Cheers
Hal Mercier

Post by Hal Mercier »

Piers,

If you have the first owner's name, you can probably recover the chassis number from the Davrian Register..I guess it was never road registered?

Do you know what the rolling chassis weighs? Does it have a rollcage or FIA hoop? My road-registered but standard body Mk 7 is about 400kg as a rolling chassis, I reckoned 490kg with engine and fluids, but has no FIA hoop.
Last edited by Hal Mercier on Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piers Phillips

Post by Piers Phillips »

Quick status update on the MK7a,
She is currently completely striipped and with Tim @ Davrian awaiting some work to be done. New Rear chassis section, Cage replacement, Fuel tank, and some minor other jobs. Looking forward to getting her back and rebuilt.
:)