Pearlescent paint

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
Hal Mercier

Re: Pearlescent paint

Post by Hal Mercier »

Another point has occurred to me.
I would be a bit reluctant to use a Cat through the usual nasty, road-salty British winter....I was already living in France when I bought the first Caterham. I noticed it had two points mid length on the bottom rails of the body sides, about scuttle location, where it had suffered from galvanic corrosion of the aluminium skin....where it had reacted with the steel spaceframe.

This is fairly inevitable if they are used much in the winter I'd say. Ours always lived in a concrete floored barn. I left the SV under a sheet from 2006 till 2011 after the second ecu packed up, and when we tried to move it, the rear brakes had locked on, due to corrosion. I had to use a fork lift to shift it somewhere I could remove the calipers.

Angus and Tessa's car, though not particularly old, had to go back to Arch Motors for complete strip, re-furb, and re-skinning of the body tub!

This is never going to be a problem with the Davrian. One of the most solid, rot-proof cars ever built.

Maybe Cheeser would like to report on his winter use or lack of, and how the original S2 Lotus Seven has stood up to British winter road conditions?