steering knuckle

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
gtm4honda

steering knuckle

Post by gtm4honda »

Can ant one please let me no where to get a steering knuckle for the Dav ,even a part number.
Not sure if any one has the same problem I am having,I have new steering arms that bolt to the rack but where the arms bolt up there is so much play ,so you can turn the wheel left and right but there is so much play ,need to have the rack bored out then have shims made up !! hope you understand what I am talking about.
Any help would be great.
Dean
Team Dav-Tec
Dave6091

Re: steering knuckle

Post by Dave6091 »

Dean,

There is a good rack on ebay with a day to go, if you need it i won't bid!,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HILLMAN-IMP-S ... 540bda6d14

If your meaning the nuckle at the bottom of the steering column it's from a triumph Dolomite 1300, i have the part no somewhere but they are hard to find.

Dave.
graham

Post by graham »

Dave6091 wrote:Dean,

If your meaning the nuckle at the bottom of the steering column it's from a triumph Dolomite 1300, i have the part no somewhere but they are hard to find.

Dave.
:( :x :cry: :evil: Shame, as I need a new one for mine. It has a bit of loose play in it.
Heathrow Area Centre Organsiser (The Imp Club)
Hal Mercier

Post by Hal Mercier »

Surely the Dav used an Imp steering column? Why on earth does it use a Triumph part for liason with an Imp rack? I'd have thought it'd be an Imp UJ.

I reckon we need a TechWiki section on the site, with all this useful stuff on it, plus articles in thread form on specific jobs, mods etc.

It could have a list of weight of parts, and alternative units, which would be a big help for anyone contemplating preparation of a road car for competition.

What y'all think?
SBS

Post by SBS »

Unfortunately the Imp range does not utilise a u/j - the steering column shaft attaches directly to the steering rack.
Hal Mercier

Post by Hal Mercier »

I'm still wondering why the knuckle is Dolomite rather than Imp?

Is the Dolly part a UJ? (I've never had the rack off the car....)
cheeser

Post by cheeser »

Hal,

Have a look at the Mk8 original brochure which refers to the joint and the possibility of using a Triumph column http://john.rawlins.com/ndr3/downloads/Mk8_brochure.pdf. Gives you a few alternatives rather than an E Type column,and even the chance of an adjustable column!
aaron aardvark

Post by aaron aardvark »

Almost identical to the Triumph part but a lot easier to source.... believe it or not, a Reliant Rialto lower column can be used.. It is a fraction longer.. Try Joe Mason (reliant spares) 07973 470810
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

That's a good link to the old Davrian brochure, I had not seen it before, as Cher famously sang "if I could turn back time" I would be writing a cheque for a new one, having said that, if I could turn back time I would turn it back a bit more and buy a new Mk5 or 6 because in my opinion they look better.
Hal Mercier

Post by Hal Mercier »

Nugget wrote:That's a good link to the old Davrian brochure, I had not seen it before, as Cher famously sang "if I could turn back time" I would be writing a cheque for a new one, having said that, if I could turn back time I would turn it back a bit more and buy a new Mk5 or 6 because in my opinion they look better.
I thought yours was a Mk 5 or 6....are you sure it isn't? What's the build number?

It has a Mk 5 rear body!
Last edited by Hal Mercier on Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.