Disc Brakes???

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
Nugget

Disc Brakes???

Post by Nugget »

I'm guessing that most Davrian's have now been converted to front discs and I intend to do the same for ease of maintenance and to overcome brake fade under heavy braking, I'm currently looking at a 8.5" Micra caliper set up which should be ok.

Reason for the post is to ask if there are any major issues with fitting disc brakes to the Davrian from a driving perspective (over braking) I'm assuming not as a good set of efficient drums are equally powerful (until they fade) compared to a disc set up of the same size and my experience with a similar weighted car (G15) with spitfire front discs was that they were fine in the dry but a tad prone to locking on wet slippery roads, I'm assuming a disc braked Davrian will be the same.
davrian6140

Re: Disc Brakes???

Post by davrian6140 »

Hi Nugget,
I have Discs all round on my mk 6 a and dual master cylinders for front and back,
I have XR 2 front vented and cross drilled and a pair of 4 pot calipers ,Tim Duffy supplyed me with the
rears. I think they are alfa discs and sierra rear calipers. The advarntage of this system you can balance
them front to rear, more brake at the rear. the Davrian stops on a sixpence or to you
younger lot one pence .
Hope this helps,
Dave
Dave Cooper
davrian6140

Mk6a DAV 373H
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

Thanks for the advice, do you have any other details on the front brakes, does thd fisc have to be machined? What are the calipers off of? Any photos, especially of the caliper mounting bracket.

Cheers
cheeser

Post by cheeser »

Nugget,
You might be interested in the "brake brochure"which gives details of the original Davrian disc brake setup. Try looking on the New Davrian Register site under the download section.Have found this setup to be effective and adjustable to help with any locking up problems.The calipers we're common to a lot of Triumphs and were also used in formula ford (and may still be) main down side is that they are on the heavy side.

Cheeser
Soyuz

Post by Soyuz »

There was someone in the Imp club from up north that did a disc brake kit using Fiesta or Micro bits iirc.

I think the Davrian discs were Saab with a bit of machining.
edgedj

Post by edgedj »

I use fiesta front and Granada rear callipers. Both pretty common and the rears have a cable operated handbrake which works on the disc not a mini drum brake. From there I just use fiesta discs all round. Perfectly good braking. Only improvement would be to brace the pedal box a bit for more feel, I think the current arrangement is a tad spongy due to movement of the pedal box plywood.
dickdixon1

Post by dickdixon1 »

With the fiesta discs, do they fit the imp hub or are they redrilled to suit?
edgedj

Post by edgedj »

I filed out the fiesta holes to match the right PCD but use a 1mm additional strip welded to the hub to centre them properly.
dickdixon1

Post by dickdixon1 »

Ok, I was thinking they would have to be redrilled. What size are they 220 or 240 mm - looking at the catalogue it seems there are 2 types (3 if you include the XR2) of disc for a MK 2 depending on whether it is a 1.1 or 1.4.

Cheers Dick
dickdixon1

Post by dickdixon1 »

Spooky just seen the conversion kit on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201161396927? ... EBIDX%3AIT