Cosworth 74mm pistons

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
Hal Mercier

Cosworth 74mm pistons

Post by Hal Mercier »

Would anyone be interested in using Cosworth forged slipper pistons in their 1040 Imp competition engines?

I'm in discussion with them and want to get a feel for the likely interest. Let me know what you think either here or by direct mail.

At the moment the choices are either old Hepolite or JK Engineering cast Hepolite type, or JE from Australia, which is another cast piston, or forged from Arias or Venolia,

I've heard reports of issues with all but the Arias, JK and Hepolite.

The Hepolite is not a slipper piston though, it's OE type full skirt.

I like Cosworth's new tech, 'can do' attitude to piston design, personally, and I reckon they can make a piston that'll potentially give better results than anything so far available.
Yellow 6

Re: Cosworth 74mm pistons

Post by Yellow 6 »

I went down the same route as you earlier in the year trying to find some 72.5 pistons. I would have loved the Cosworth ones but 6 sets minimum order put a stop to that! In the end I had the last of Stuart's cast pistons. The engine builder Mike Parry of Race Techniques in Cheltenham who has built my engine couldn't sing the praises of the Cosworth pistons too highly from his experience of using them in his racing mini engines.
I agree it would be a good idea to find out who would be interested in a set - 72.5 and 74 to make it viable.