Pat's MK5

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
Blade

Pat's MK5

Post by Blade »

Hi Iain,

Thought I'd post reply in the Davrian section as I got all confused on my intro' and posted it in the Darrian section. Well it is the car you think it is. And if you are the person I think you are we have met. Many years ago mind, at the winter warmer series at Brands. I think you had a black MK6/7 and you are a doctor. I was racing the MK5 and from memory there were quite a few davrians there that day. I do have some photos somewhere of that day but will need some digging out. As for the Mk5, well not that recogniseable from when you last saw it. Both in colour, spec or for that matter anything else really. Hopefully it will meet with everyone's approval when it finally gats done especially seeing as it's one of Pat's old cars. Maybe I could track down Bob Jarvis to see what he thinks. Look forward to hearing from you soon. Gary.
Iain

Re: Pat's MK5

Post by Iain »

Hi Gary,
You have a good memory .I sold my mark 7 years ago and it went to the hills ,though like most Davrians it seems to have gone into retirement now.I am currently trying to sell my Darrian T90 [see Darrian website] and thinking of getting a Davrian again . They never seem to appear for sale in any great numbers considering the number 'retired in garages' around the country, so if you know of any in hiding I'd love to hear of them.
Its good to know that Pats old Mk5 is in good hands ,interested to see it when you have some photos. His old [or younger !] Mk8 went to the states in the end I think. Regards Iain
Blade

Post by Blade »

Iain,

Great to be in touch with someone from the 'old days'. Even if you did stray for a while with the Darrian. Where abouts are you living now? From memory you were in Scotland last time we met. If your not and within striking distance of Kent then give me a shout and I'll show you the old girl. Like I said before it has changed quite drasticly and it may offend some purists but sometimes things need to be changed a little if only to make them just what the owner wants. I'm not for one minute saying it's going to improve the original but I've wanted to put a race prepared Davrian on the road since I used to go racing with Pat and Bob in the seventies so I will apologise in advance if it doesn't meet with everyones likes or expectations. What I've done with her is somethin Pat told me not to do but hey I had to try. If it works it should be quite entertaining. Both to see/hear and to drive. Brands Hatch Indy circuit will be on the agenda as soon as it's done and I'll see if I can match if not beat the times I posted when I drove it there all those years ago. Well I'm going to have a few beers now so I'll sign off. Keep in touch.

Gary.
Iain

Post by Iain »

Gary,
I know what you mean about low activity levels on here ,but that probably explains my late response to your reply..
As for where I'm based its Exeter in Devon,so not round the corner.I should be up your way in June and would be interested in seeing the car, What exactly have you done to it that would have Pat telling you off! You really should get some photos on here for us to see.If only to seek out the purists!
It is intruiging that there must be lots of cars in garages doing nothing and lots of people whod be keen to see them out and about ,or to own them,and this site ought to provide that missing link-maybe it just needs more time .
Look forward to the pictures
Iain
Blade

Post by Blade »

Iain,
It's good to hear fron you again. I totally agree with you. That's why I posted "Activity". This site is a really good way for Davrian owners and enthusiasts to discuss the mark. Personally, My friends and family are getting bored to tears with me going on about this-as yet-ficticious vehicle being as most have never seen it and I suppose I do go on about it. As far as going against Pat's recommendations, I have decided to fit a motorbike engine in it! This idea came about when I used to race Autograss when bike engined cars were being developed and becoming very successful. Since then a lot of kit cars have benifitted from the the installation of such engines. I fear that going down this route may not met with approval from the purists and I really wouldn't like to upset anyone who thinks what I am doing is not in keeping with what this car is all about but I just had to give it a try. Will try and get some photos on the forum.
Gary.
Hal Mercier

Post by Hal Mercier »

!! Bike engined Davrian?

Did it happen? I very nearly put a Renault Alpine Turbo unit into my Mk7 but Tim Duffee persuaded me not to, I'm eternally grateful to him for this now. I had the Alpine ready to go, alongside the Mk7!

He reckoned it'd be another project which didn't get finished and also sacrilege to butcher a road registered Mk7, as most of them weren't ever registered...which makes mine very rare and well worth the effort of restoring.

I understand the strong temptation to fit a more modern, light, reliable, easy to find bits or replace type engine though.

The only thing that worries me about BEC is the chain drive part.....the car is over 3 times the weight of a bike so it has to be a weak link.
Blade

Post by Blade »

As I used to race Autograss cars I saw a huge amount of development of bike engine configerations including twin bike engined cars long before it really took off in the kit car scene. This is what made me go down that route. I'm no expert but I'm hoping it's goint to work well and of course I expect it to be a bit of a development process.
davrian6140

Post by davrian6140 »

Dont worry about chain drive I work on frazer nash's, they have a solid
2.5 dia steel rear axle and four chain driven gears 1930 style. also
you have less power drop than a crownwheel and pinion.
Regards dave6140
Dave Cooper
davrian6140

Mk6a DAV 373H