petrol tanks

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
m.colin

Re: petrol tanks

Post by m.colin »

I remember years ago we could not race with an ally tank unless it was clad with 2 layers of fibreglass, I suppose it was because if you had a bump and deformed the ally tank enough to crack the ally, the grp might keep the petrol in. The scrutineers were quite strict about this at the time (1970's). If at any time I had to remove my tank/s (god forbid) I would certainly do this before replacing it again. I think the scrutes would be happy to see a Davrians' tanks surrounded by grp, as in the bodywork, to give it a pass. While a tank is out I think it a good idea to give it the slosh treatment too.
Regards, Mike.
edgedj

Post by edgedj »

I had a pretty similar story with my mk3. I put it back on the road in the first year of ownership, lots of brush paint and not much quality work. It passed local vehicle inspection in Jersey but was always a bit heavier than it ought to be. After a few months of driving I began to notice a whiff of petrol after opening the door, but only a whiff. So I had a good look around and decided to have a peek (with a 2.5" holesaw) in the sill on the off chance. Turns out the drivers side tank had a leak and the drivers sill was completely full of petrol, the passenger side was the same but stagnant water.

I've got new Ali tanks now, supplied by Tim Duffee (actually made by a bloke called Alex from memory). AN fittings all round and very nice they look too...

My only problem now is if I drive around a multi storey carpark, the outside tank tends to fill and then overflow.

Cheers
Dave
davrian6140

Post by davrian6140 »

Hi Dave, you must have surge from one tank to the other. I run two pumps
but have non-return valves in each fuel line, is would also stop your surge
perhaps.
Regards Dave
Dave Cooper
davrian6140

Mk6a DAV 373H
Hal Mercier

Post by Hal Mercier »

What are the headlights on the white Jersey car? It looks pretty good as it is, but I can't make out how they work on main beam?

Mine has a set of 7" units which I think now are too large for the car, so I may try a set of Lotus Elise S1 size lamps which are a bit smaller. I also need to make a mould off my flip-front, as it's very heavy and is a patchwork of repairs and added bits with little strength. It'll take a lot more work to get right, and has the usual Davrian faults such as blatant lack of symmetry and appalling panel fit and gaps to rectify.

Maybe this is why it's sat in the barn for 10 years with little activity? :mrgreen:
edgedj

Post by edgedj »

The upper ones are Ford Puma lights with the focussed beam dip lenses. The lower ones are aftermarket E marked full beams.

I made the tubes by cutting the bonnet in the relevant places with a hole saw, then bonding in some church candles to form the recesses. Pull the candles out and hey presto.
kistinie

Post by kistinie »

I have the same problem on my MK5
Fuel level goes slowly down, without visible signs of leak on the floor or on the body

Pictures and video of this thread are not accessible anymore.

I would be happy to get as much information on this job as i am currently quite depressed by this

Thank you.
Teddie2003

Post by Teddie2003 »

Well this link still works, takes a bit of time to load though.

On the car logger section
GT 4 had that problem in his post a few years ago.
"Lots more info on my car here:
http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread. ... -different

Go to post 47 on page 2 of the link to see his problem, sounds pretty much the same as yours.