Works cradleless/cantilever engine installation

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
Paul Patrick

Works cradleless/cantilever engine installation

Post by Paul Patrick »

Has anyone got any photos of Adrian's cradleless engine installation for an Imp engine in the works race cars, as I wouldn't mind copying the set-up and saving a few kilos while I'm doing the winter rebuild?
riddy

Re: Works cradleless/cantilever engine installation

Post by riddy »

the works cars laterly ran a frames to support engine as to unreliable without,to finish first,first you have to finish and all that! regards riddy
Paul Patrick

Post by Paul Patrick »

Hello Riddy,
thanks for the reply. Do you know why it was too unreliable? I seem to remember a bloke in Sheffield having his engine suspended in this way,
(Cam(shaft) Johnson I think his name was)in his Mk5 turbo and I don't remember that it gave any trouble. Was it that the crankcase nipping the crank under extreme bump or maybe the gearbox casing cracked? I once saw a copy of Cars and Car Conversions about the works race car driven by Ken Currie and there was no rear engine mount. The engine was a Carter 998 so Ian must have cast his engineering eye over it at some point in the developement. Food for thought?
Thanks, Paul
riddy

Post by riddy »

both! bob and pat were works drivers both running carter engines,they wouldnt run one without an a frame,its prob an early article prior to the probs and the cure.regards riddy
Hal Mercier

Post by Hal Mercier »

I do believe I may have a very bad quality pic of this.
Dark deeds 2.jpg
Dark deeds 2.jpg (216.63 KiB) Viewed 4446 times