Davrian Owners and Friends

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
cheeser

Davrian Owners and Friends

Post by cheeser »

Just returned from a short break in Jersey with the family doing the normal family type sightseeing, but while there I suddenly recalled Dave Edge and his Davrian being on Jersey. So I send Dave a pm and then agreed to meet at a convenient location. I arrive first and then wait for the familiar sound of an Imp engine, but no, ‘ that sounds a bit subdued’ and then remember that he has turbocharged his car. After a short time admiring the car and taking a few photos, Dave suggests that I have a drive of his pride and joy, but I decline, we had only just met!
So I sit in the passenger seat and Dave takes us up the road a short distance to stop in a layby, before offering me a drive again. Well I couldn’t refuse twice could I?
So I settle into the drivers seat, bringing back long lost memories of brother Neville’s Mk 6. After checking with Dave that the motor is suitably warm I give the loud pedal a bit more attention and find that she goes very well!
Dave has put a HUGE amount of work into this car, converting from a much earlier Mk to basically Mk6 spec, including fitting the normal Imp type cantilever A frame engine hanger. A previous owner had fitted lightweight rear bodywork and kept the rear engine mount fixed to this bodywork in the same way as most early cars………. but it couldn’t take the load and the rear bodywork started to unbond itself! Take a look at Dave’s photos on this site to see how much work he has done.
So what about the engine, well if I have it right, it’s a 930 with sport cam, fairly high compression and fairly low boost from a Renault 5 turbo plus an intercooler from a Scooby (I think), all controlled by ‘Mega’. Dave is obviously a bit of a wiz on the electronics front as well and knows his way around Imp motors having caught the bug from a previously owned Stiletto.
In practice the power comes on smoothly without a huge step as the turbo cuts in, giving a very torquey motor but with useable power for a quick road car.
The whole car feels well put together emphasising the ‘keep it stiff’ label.
Dave hopes to hillclimb the car in Jersey, if it was me, I’d want to use her on mainland roads or a trackday to be able to open her up!
After a long chat I get out from the driver seat and realise that I have a little explaining to do to my wife. The seat of my trousers and lower back of my shirt are rather wet, Dave had explained that he was still experimenting with different door seals and thought he had found the answer on the passenger door…… but not the drivers yet………… well my wife should understand, she’s been married to a Davrian owner for over 22 years!
So I have huge admiration of Dave’s work on both the body/chassis and also the turbo motor. Like most Davrian owners there is a list of things to do, but this is nothing compared to that already achieved!
Many, many thanks to Dave for letting me see his car and letting a complete stranger drive it………… such are Davrian owners.

Robin
edgedj

Re: Davrian Owners and Friends

Post by edgedj »

you're welcome Robin. It's good to meet a fellow Davrian owner, especially as I've never had someone drive it who has driven another Davrian before so it's interesting to get comparisons. Lot of friends have given it a go but they are all molly coddled with modern stuff.

following your drive I decided the stalling issue (from setting off at no revs) is no-longer acceptable, so I've dialled that out by tweaking the ignition and fuelling maps around idle. I find that as a long term owner, you just learn to live with the foibles, it takes a new driver to make you realise what you don't have to live with!

PS - yes indeed, wet pants have now been solved by fitting a second sealing strip - I'll post some pictures, it does seem to be working - but the channels still lead water into the cabin in heavy rain, so just one last leaking issue to resolve.

Cheers
Dave