Restore or convert

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
dickdixon1

Restore or convert

Post by dickdixon1 »

Ok, don't shoot me just yet for the title. Just after some thoughts of which direction I should go when I look to put my Mk 6 back on the road (sometime ) .... Having had a road going Mk 6 for most of the mid 80 to late 90s and been constantly tinkering I am now wondering when I rebuild the other Mk 6 I have (only one left and yes I was greedy) as still imp based or look to modernise the running gear, engine etc with something which would be supportable for longer. If I did that am I losing the spirit of Davrian and would be kicked off the forum or is it viewed as pragmatic for keeping/getting one back on the road. Grateful for your thoughts and any suggestions for possible donor vehicles. Would also like to hear views from those running them on the road as to how difficult/easy it is to get parts. Cheers Dick
m.colin

Re: Restore or convert

Post by m.colin »

Hi, Dick,
personally, I think you have got to remember that Davrians are/were kit cars and were sold in big or little lumps to do what you like with them. OK, Adrian liked Imps, but he also would have liked to have sold more cars with Mini running gear or other running gear available at the time. He would not be looking to fit Imp stuff in 2012, in fact he would be overwhelmed at the choices available today, including bike stuff. I agree with others that it would be good fun to restore a completely standard Davrian/Imp sometime, (something I would like to do myself in the future).
I am a little bit biased as my Mk5 has got a K series and VW box in the back at the mo, but if it is too unrulely I have an Imp engine and box ready to replace it. I bought the car with the K series installed so I may as well try it out. I have had to rebuild the car, not touched the running gear, and it is now ready for MOT so I will soon find out how it handles etc.

Best Wishes, Mike.
dickdixon1

Post by dickdixon1 »

Thanks Mike for the input, the k series was one of the routes I had discussed with a friend - possibly using the mgf setup. Do you have any photos of the mk 5 you could post or pm me. Alternatively do you live anywhere near Bath for me to come and have a look. Cheers Dick
m.colin

Post by m.colin »

Hi Dick,
I live near Dudley, West Midlands. Not on your doorstep but youre welcome just the same. I will post some fotos when I find out how to do it !
Mike.
dickdixon1

Post by dickdixon1 »

Thanks Mike, I pass through the Birmingham area every 3 months or so on route to friends or parents. If possible would like to drop off and have a look. Photos would be good, I use flicker to post and just drop the link http://www.flickr.com/photos/dickdixon6 ... 225819907/
Cheers
m.colin

Post by m.colin »

Look forward to seeing you.Mike.
m.colin

Post by m.colin »

dickdixon1

Post by dickdixon1 »

Interesting, thanks. Will put the thinking cap on. Probably going to bring the car south in the nextb3 months and start work towards the end of the year.
m.colin

Post by m.colin »

An update on Mk 5 K series / vw box. The road going car with carpets etc and some fuel is 630kg and so not much more ,if any, than standard imp. The handling is great and feels more like a mid engined car than rear engine. I have never driven an imp engined car. The base engine is completely standard and is fitted with down draft dellorto's and megajolt ignition and gives 130bhp at 5,750 on the rollers and a very docile engine performance. Only a few hundred miles so far and I am changing the wheels and tyres as I speak to give better offsets. The gearbox is excellent if undergeared somewhat and I will sort that out mext.
cheers, mike.
Hal Mercier

Post by Hal Mercier »

The Rover/MG/Lotus 'K' is a superb block for tuning. I have one 1800 which gives 204bhp and another which is a full race Evo 220 which gives probably a bit over 220bhp....it's also dry sumped though the first, in an Elise, is standard wet sump. The 204bhp is an 'ex VVC' tuned by Dave Andrews of DVA fame, with the VVC stuff removed and solid cams fitted, plus forged pistons etc and Jenvey DTHTBs

The Evo 220 has Titan Phantom DTHTBs, as fitted to the S1 Exiges, and a Pace dry-sump.