brake shoes

Post your entries here for items for sale or parts that you are looking for...
gtm4honda

brake shoes

Post by gtm4honda »

Hi all happy new year,
Could any one please tell me what brake shoes go inside my rear MK8 discs,just be nice to get the handbrake /parkbrake to work.
Many thanks Dean
Team Dav-Tec
Blade

Re: brake shoes

Post by Blade »

Hi Dean. Happy New Year to you. I'm not sure if this would be of any help but the only set up you have I believe used to be standard fitting on Vauxhall Carltons. Gary.
Dave6091

Post by Dave6091 »

If it's an original Davrian set up than i thought the handbrake shoes were from an early Honda CBF motor bike, but i could be wrong!.
Great to see your car is nearly there, well done sir.

Dave.
Iain

Post by Iain »

Hi From memory they were from a honda cb 250. Most apprpriate with current engine!
By the way
Happy New Year to all
Regards Iain
cheeser

Post by cheeser »

Yes can confirm that they are Honda bike brake shoes, I used them when I fitted the handbrake on my Mk 8 when I converted it for road use. I've got the details including part numbers somewhere, I'll try and find them and get back to you
Robin
gtm4honda

Post by gtm4honda »

That would be great Robin,
Many thanks Dean
cheeser

Post by cheeser »

Hi again Dean,

Just had a trawl through my Davrian stuff and found some info.
Tony Freeman (from Weymouth) who has owned a couple of Davrians including a transverse ford engined Mk8, did a short piece for the NDR back in 1997, he says brakes are 140mm drums for a whole number of Honda motorcycles including CD185 T ' 78,
XL 250 SB '82 ,
part numbers are:-

Brake shoes : 43120-329-670
Springs : 45133-329-000 ( I have a note that the part no. for the springs I used was 43151-329-000, just to confuse things!)
Activation pin : 43141-ME4-000

Interestingly he comments that cheaper pattern parts are available from SBS (Scandinavian Brake Shoes) part number 2023, this number should get you one pair of shoes complete with their springs.
I believe the cables are based on Morris Minor, although I expect that your set up will probably need something different?
I used a modified Mini handbrake converted to flyoff.
Tim Duffee supplied me with some bits like the activation pins, pivot pins and a sketch so that I could form a suitable backplate.
This set up was suitable to get through an mot OK, but probably not suitable for handbrake turns!........... but then you'll have hydraulic for that!

Good to see your great progress with the car and wish you good luck with your rallying
Robin
ps If you need to shake the car down you could always point towards west dorset where there would be a warm welcome waiting!
gtm4honda

Post by gtm4honda »

Thanks for your help Robin,
orderd shoes today they should be here Friday,i am running a small mini handbrake to work the shoes,and a tall hydrolic handbrake for rally use.
Had the car all running up to temp tonight,had a bit of a worry it wouldnt run over 4000rpm,then forget that is my launch control rev setting :roll:
The car is booked in for an mot next saturday !!
I may well come down to see you as i am only in Bournemouth and my 1st rally is only 5 weeks away.
All the best Dean
gtm4honda

Post by gtm4honda »

Thats it,brake shoes here today and fitted,all working just fine.
Lets hope all the bits come together this well.
Dean.
Team Dav-Tec
cheeser

Post by cheeser »

Good to hear that handbrake working well. Good luck with mot!
Got an 'old fashioned' garage or two near here that are into older vehicles and competition cars so both understand our types of cars, and sensibly and safely apply the necessary rules!
Robin