rebuilding davrians

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
davrian6140

Re: rebuilding davrians

Post by davrian6140 »

Dave, my drive shafts have mk 1 fiesta fronts [ m/s down hardy spicer imp rear shafts]
and comp drive couplings inner
D 6140
Dave Cooper
davrian6140

Mk6a DAV 373H
davrian6140

Post by davrian6140 »

I am going to post more pictures in the car logger section. The topic is Davrian mk 6a FCD 284X.
Dave Cooper
davrian6140

Mk6a DAV 373H
Danny

Post by Danny »

I've tried to make some pictures of my car. I hope you can see what Mk it is..
davrian6140

Post by davrian6140 »

Danny, nice to see the davrian you have to wait for the experts to confirm what MK it is
I think it might be a 3/4. Also what is the car on the right you can just see the front of
the car is it a clan? I think you should restore the davrian . I also have a restoration
company thats why I'ts taken 10 odd years to build my MK 6a
Go to it and start tomorrow. best of luck.
davrian 6140
Dave Cooper
davrian6140

Mk6a DAV 373H
Dave6091

Post by Dave6091 »

Hi Danny,

Been looking at some old pics in brochures and books. Your car doesn't seem to have the rear buttresses that appeared on the Mk2-3, in fact it looks like you have a hard top actually bonded on, can you confirm this?. This would make it a very early car. Have you no more info on the car?.

D.
Hal Mercier

Post by Hal Mercier »

Hi Dave,

I see you have a list of chassis numbers! I have Mk4 # 4025, and Mk 7 # D17015, last owner Paul Dick in Ayr.

I bought the Mk 4 in 1980, and the Mk 7 in 2001.

The Mk4 has been fully rebuilt for racing, and has a French competition passport, the Mk7 has a UK RAC race passport. Both are road registered.

Hal Mercier

Post by Hal Mercier »

(Continued.....)

Dave, You're a braver man than me, Gunga-Din!

I painted my Mk4 white due to the body being so irregular... white reflects most light and disguises wobbly bodywork better than a dark colour.
You must have done a huge amount of work on that shell to get it to a state where you can get away with dark blue!

How did you remove all the old paint?

Am I right in thinking you have bonded the removable rear body on to the main tub, and if so, why?

Nice work on the suspension by the way, did you use a Davrian fabricated rear crossmember?

Mine, being a Mk4, still uses the Imp crossmember but I got a proper works reinforced one through Tim Duffee. I think my car is the first to have a Duffee rollover bar installed without taking the roof off! I recall seeing John Wheeler's similar car at Tim's in 2001 as he was cutting the slots in the rear bulkhead for a similar install....he explained that it should be possible like this and I took some photos, and it worked well.
davrian6140

Post by davrian6140 »

Hi hal. when I got my dav I took it to the local shot blasters, they showed me how
they could strip the paint layer by layer by plastic media untill they got to the gel
coat,then they did it with glass bead to help paint adhesion. very clever.
Dave6140
Dave Cooper
davrian6140

Mk6a DAV 373H
Hal Mercier

Post by Hal Mercier »

Hi Dave, You went to someone who actually knew what they were doing then! I saw a Reliant Scimitar (the oldest type) that had been sent to a media blasting place and returned with all the gelcoat surface looking like pumice stone!

Totally ruined. I don't know what became of it but I wouldn't have fancied trying to get the surface back for painting!
riddy

Post by riddy »

davrian6140 wrote:Hi Davrianites. Has any body converted the drive shafts to constant velocity joints as I have? see picture.
have they given any , vibrations etc. having not driven the car it would be nice to know. will put more pics
up soon.
davrian6140
yes my dads mk7a modsports car had these fitted back in the day,worked very well much better from a standing start and stronger to boot.Only probs where it was harder on the gearbox but we are talking about competition use through 10inch slick rear tyres.