Davrian Girling Calipers

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
Eyre

Davrian Girling Calipers

Post by Eyre »

Hi,
the latest oddness that I've come across while rebuilding my race MK8 is that the calipers are alloy Girling AR3's all around, upgraded from the usual type 14's. The problem I have is that I only got 3 in the box of bits that came with the car so I was wondering if anyone might have an old one in a box. There are lots of Girling caliper types that are quite similar so to identify it, the casting number on AR3's is 64320805
Apparently they're well worth keeping by getting them reconditioned in terms of performance and low weight so it's fine even if I could get one with the pistons seized and no retaining clips, like the thanks ones I have!
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Eyre
Eyre

Re: Davrian Girling Calipers

Post by Eyre »

Since my last post I've found out that it's probably uneconomical to try to get these Girling calipers reconditioned and to get a 4th matching one because they're out of production (so a pair of reproductions would be needed instead).
I'm now thinking about fitting 4 pot Wilwoods instead and have come across ones that look like they might be very close to a direct replacement: http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/Caliper ... =120-11577
The car has a bias bar so there shouldn't be any issue balancing them out front to rear but I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience of these for racing or if anyone has any other suggestions?
matnrach

Post by matnrach »

Hi
Yes I use Wliwood calipers.
You need to make mounting brackets which is not too difficult
Also if you use it on the road fit Mintex M1144 or similar pads not Wilwood pads as they have little feel or bite
Regards
Stuart
Eyre

Post by Eyre »

Great thanks. I run EBC Green Stuff pads on my Westfield for road/trackdays/hillclimbs and find them pretty good as an all rounder so was thinking of trying them on the Dav too (race only). The offset of the Wilwoods seems to be similar to the Girlings but it shouldn't take much to modify them if needed.
davrian6140

Post by davrian6140 »

Hi
I run ebc green stuf on the mk 6a as a road car they are good on start up
and when warm they are fantastic
Dave
Dave Cooper
davrian6140

Mk6a DAV 373H