Double-bubble roofs.

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
gtm4honda

Re: Double-bubble roofs.

Post by gtm4honda »

Hi did you ever get around to making any more ,I really am interested.
Thanks ,Dean
Hal Mercier

Post by Hal Mercier »

Still not sprayed the car....my buddy's sprayshop still has no heating and it's arctic conditions here.

I'm hoping to get the car sorted out in the spring, probably put the road gearbox back in it at the same time.

One problem I have is I had to use special longer wheel studs and they didn't have the usual 'splines' on them, so we spot welded the heads to the hubs.

During a weekend race meet, one of these welds let go, and I haven't been able to remove the wheel since then, so I need to get the car up on a lift and try and re-tack the damned stud head back onto the hub.

I will be able to knock out a few of these DB roof panels if people are interested, hopefully in the summer.
gtm4honda

Post by gtm4honda »

I am up for one of the roof panels please
Hal Mercier

Post by Hal Mercier »

The Davrian is getting high on the "to do" list. I need to get a new front panel from Tim but can prepare the rest first and even spray it if necessary. I think it'll be a straight polyester orange so no problem with painting the front panel later.

I managed to drop a 220kg motorbike on it last week, the bike was damaged but the Davrian shrugged it off without a scratch.....

I'll tidy the mould and try and rip a panel out.......when it's a bit warmer!
Hal Mercier

Post by Hal Mercier »

I can't believe so much time has slipped by.

The roof is now bonded on and I've done most of the filling and blending in. I'm going to get it perfect on the car, then take another mould.

I keep getting sidetracked by other projects and the poor Davrian gets put on the back burner.

Latest has been sorting a 2002 Caterham SVR 220, which had terrible paint problems....half of it was repainted after a slight bump just before we bought it in 2006, and the left side, bonnet and scuttle panel paint never hardened properly for some reason.

I had to remove all the paint with a scraper.

Anyway, it's now finished in a pearl white with red stripes.

I'm just waiting for some new instruments to arrive and it'll be back in service after an 8 year snooze!

I discovered the bonnet was a rogue panel with the louvres off centre.....

It finally turned out ok. Only one I've seen with the stripes running across the louvres....I wanted to see how difficult it is to do.

The car is the SV wide-body variant, though the stripes make it look narrower.

Colour coordinated cockerel and Caterham...

Hal Mercier

Post by Hal Mercier »

Roof blending now actively going on, at the same time as I'm setting the suspension properly, it turned out the shock mount heights were all over the place.

Someone had probably set them using the GRP body as datum points, as if it was symmetrical.

Big mistake! I'm also fully rebuilding the brakes on both cars as oil my new-in-2001 Girling MC seals are FUBAR.

There hasn't been so much activity on the Davrians here since 2001!

I measured from floor to roof and there may possibly be about 10mm more in the Mk 7 but it could have been the stupidly fat builders steel tape I was trying to use. I had to guesstimate the original roof position in the Mk 4, so it may simply have been a mistake.

In any case, it's now much better in the Mk 4 , there's at least 30mm extra headroom, I can sit in it with the crash helmet I wore in 2002 and not be in contact! I think production panels will be thinner, so maybe a few extra mm.
Hal Mercier

Post by Hal Mercier »

Got sidetracked into restoring the nose of our Grinnall Scorpion 3, which got damaged way back in 2003 in a carpark in France, when the very low splitter touched a kerb, after surviving a 5000km round trip to the Sahara.....though this was without the splitter!! Unbelievable....the only damage in Africa was when three yoofs on a scooter smacked the left mudguard in Monastir,Tunisia, sadly failing to fall off in the process.....

Also full rebuild on the Caterham head, which turned out to need all new guides and has now been done, including attention to the ports, relief of the follower tunnel tops to allow a second Piper1444 high lift cam space to turn....I'm awaiting the correct diameter shim set, then that will go back together and I can start of the Davrian at last!

The Davrian is next up on the to do list.....