Fuel pumps

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
Dave6091

Fuel pumps

Post by Dave6091 »

My fuel pump parked me on the side of the road again today, i cleaned the points and away i went but i think it's due an overhaul!. It's a double ended SU pump from a rover p5, the kits and points conversion is going to cost £150 and a new one is over £220+ vat.
Other choices seem to be either the facet cube type or the newer all black plastic ones also from facet. There are others but i wondered what you lot would choose?.

Cheers,

Dave.
cheeser

Re: Fuel pumps

Post by cheeser »

I have not had any problems with a Facet 'cube' over a 25 year period. I fitted it new to an engine producing about 100bhp, together with a pressure regulator and it's own filter to suit the SU fed engine. It has never missed a beat or needed any maintenance.
Robin
Blade

Post by Blade »

I concur. I used to run a facet cube on my autograss mini. This also never missed a beat on an engine producing over 100bhp on mud, in dust and general poor conditions for electrical items. Would strongly recommend them.
shammycoupe69

Post by shammycoupe69 »

The only thing to check with the SU type pumps, is whether it is a long suck/short blow or a short suck/long blow type pump. depending on where the pump is (i.e close to tank or engine) decides which type you need. if it is the wrong type it can wear out prematurely.

where have you looked to get the SU type from?
Jeremy Cooper

1958 Frogeye Sprite
1969 Singer Chamois Coupe (now sold :( )
1970 Hillman Imp Deluxe
1984 VW Campervan
2005 Ford Focus Est
Dave6091

Post by Dave6091 »

Hi Jeremy,

The SU pump has been ticking away happily for over 25 years with little or no maintianance so deserves a rest or rebuild!.
It's an AUF503 which is a double ended duel imput, the only place that appears to stock them is Holden.

Following Robin and Gary's comments i phoned a Facet supplier today (fuelpumpsonline 01179 078569, nice people to deal with). The new style black posiflow pumps are basicly an update of the old cube type but are supposed to be quieter. I've ordered a pair plus unions for £72 all in which seeemed a good deal. If they last 25 years as Robin suggests then they should see me out!.

Dave.