Davrian Mk 6a

Post pictures of your car here for others to see!
intrepid
Site Admin

Re: Davrian Mk 6a

Post by intrepid »

A job for my brother - he's the bike genius with the gear to set them up - did my CBR and they have been perfect.
Hal Mercier

Post by Hal Mercier »

I bought a Morgan Carbtune recently, as the GL1000 is very synch critical. One of them is a 1976 model which I'm restoring and the carbs are wildly out, but I need to put the rad back before I can play with them!

Mind you, once it warmed up, I was able to start it with its side mounted (think BMW boxers) kicker!
intrepid
Site Admin

Post by intrepid »

Well today was the day for starting her up and taking her out of the garage. Still much work to be done but I just needed to fire her up and hear her run - a sort of incentive to urge me onto the next stage of the refurb!!!

Graham - remember the manifold and carbs? - I bet you thought they would never actually end up being put to use but here they are all sparkling and sounding lovely, albeit I still need to braze the vacuum take-offs to the inlet manifold so I can set the carbs up properly and not sure about the jetting either so have gone for CB750 jets to start with.

Here's the link to the video of this momentous occasion but as you can see there is no way it will make it to Mallory Park in August!!

Ken - thanks for machining the bits for the carbs now you can see the fruits of your labour - speak soon.
intrepid
Site Admin

Post by intrepid »

Well well well, doesn't time fly?

After several false starts over the last few years I have finally decided to get my act together and get the Mk6a up and running for the September gathering at Castle Coombe. I am determined to get the car there under its own steam!

I have stripped the old front end from the car and replaced it with the lightweight fabrication that came with the car. I am also going to convert the front brakes to disc and have ordered a kit from Colin Valentine as the ones I have do not leave enough clearance for wheel balancing weights.

New shocks and 13" Minilites that fill the arches are replacing the old 12" set up.

More updates over the coming weeks and months...
IMG_1218.JPG
IMG_1223.JPG
IMG_1226.JPG
IMG_1233.JPG
Attachments
IMG_1236.JPG
intrepid
Site Admin

Post by intrepid »

I have bought a new front end too from Tim Duffee to put the car back to its original pop up headlamps as it was in the Martyn Morgan Jones book.
IMG_1088.JPG
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

Looking good, see you in September
intrepid
Site Admin

Post by intrepid »

A bit more progress towards the goal of being on the road for September...the front end is now complete - just need to instal new brake lines. Next step is to strip the rear end and rebuild the rear braking system, replace drive shafts and donuts and run new cooling pipes from front to back with a new radiator.

IMG_1270.JPG
Soyuz

Post by Soyuz »

I was starting to wonder if you still had the car, good to see progress is on going. It's a shame your not going to use the brakes that came with the car as it was the proper Davrian kit designed to go inside 13" wheels.

BTW, the light bar got a bit bent when an Orion had a bit of contact with the front of the car with the headlamps in the up position.
intrepid
Site Admin

Post by intrepid »

Alan,

I have decided to use the original Davrian front brakes after all and will move the wheel balancing weights to avoid clouting the calliper.

I trust you still live in the same place - if so, you will be the first to see it once it is finished.

I have straightened the bar and had it powder coated black. Just got to make up a mechanism to operate it.
Soyuz

Post by Soyuz »

Good call with the brakes, I've driven a mk8 Davrian with the full Davrian brake kit and they were really good.

I was going to use something like an MX5 or 200sx headlamp motor before the bar got bent.

I bet the new front end is half the weight of the old one.

I moved some years ago.

Not sure if you ever saw the car when it was yellow?
Attachments
File0003.jpg