any preference for schock absorbers

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
neil jones

any preference for schock absorbers

Post by neil jones »

Hello, restoring my Mk5 Davrian. Had Spax on the rear (one now leaks), ? on front (both 12" top to bolt middle)
So long ago ... forgotten what they were!
Does anyone have any recommendations for good shock absorbers?
For road use.. not competition!

Thanks,
Neil
Dave6091

Re: any preference for schock absorbers

Post by Dave6091 »

Hi Neil,

I guess choosing shocks is much like chocolate bars, we all have our favorites for various reasons!. The usual mid range suspects would be Spax, Avo, Protec and Gaz. I tried a pair of Avo's on a Jensen a couple of years ago but one of them came apart twice but was repaired under warranty. I have Protec with adjustable platfoms all round on the Mk4 and they perform well with no issues and at a fair price.
I built a Jensen Healey fitted with a rover V8 last year and a friend recommended Gaz shox. They are not far from me in Basildon so i popped over for a visit, found them very friendly and sat down told the chap what i wanted and they built me a custom set uprated for the Healey at a great price. I was well impressed with the service and the shocks look very well made, i shall use them again.
No doubt someone will post opposite views but that's my 2p's worth!.

Dave.
neil jones

Post by neil jones »

Thanks Dave.
Some permutations I hadn't thought about there.
Neil
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

I can't really give an opinion on one make versus the other however I am very pleased with the AVO coil overs and springs that Tim Duffee supplied for my Davrian, I've had no issues to date and it handles really well on track with them wound up and is fairly compliant on road with them wound back. I had Protechs on the front of my G15 and I was happy with them too, but that car was never used or set up for the track so I can't really compare, but again I had no issues with them.

It could be worth a call to Tim, I told him what I wanted to use the car for and he supplied the shocks and springs to suit, I'm not sure what the spring rates are that he supplied but as you know that is very important to get right too.