MEY 882J

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
Hal Mercier

Re: MEY 882J

Post by Hal Mercier »

Fantastic! Congrats. So all things considered, the BMW power is an improvement? :lol:

Mine is still waiting for events to roll round to it...

I've been occupied with restoring a small ex watermill which I shall be living in...the garage space is only half or less of what I have here, so I'm also trying to get rid of excess cars, bikes, and bits.
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

For those that are not on the Clan, Davrian, G15 Facebook page, a quick update on my Davrian. I've done another 3 trackdays at Castle Combe this year, all with the BMW K100 engine, and I'm pleased to report that it is running flawlessly, it starts first time every time, idles perfectly, and it's 90ish bhp, (the cooking K100 8 valve is quoted at 90bhp but mine is evidently very high mileage so probably less), results in consistent 1m30sec laps. I have now acquired a BMW K1 engine with a chipped ECU that produces IRO 125bhp which I will be fitting in the next couple of weeks before my final trackday of this year on the 6th October, the K1 engine is a 1000cc 16valve unit taken from the K1 superbike, mine has already been installed in a Clan and was good for over 110mph so I should hopefully get under the minute and a half barrier at Combe.

I've also been busy tidying things up a bit, and sorting the exhaust, I've had snags getting it under the 100dB limit and have ended up going for a mid box from an Astra Cabriolet mounted across the back, its done the the job, (just), unfortunately there is little I can do about the mechanical noise with just a single skin of GRP.

As well as sorting a few mechanical bits and pieces I have also had another go at the bodywork, it all started with me not being very happy with the driver door fit, and ended 7 weeks later with me adjusting all the panel gaps, making and fitting new lexan windows, and a full roller!!! repaint, which I did for under £100. I'm pretty happy with the results, it is after all a car that gets used on the track. I'm still not 100% happy with the drivers door fit but it was a compromise between getting it perfect and not loading it with filler.

A few photos:
Dav Rust 1.1.jpg
Dav Rust 1.1.jpg (129.46 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
Dav Rust 2.1.jpg
Dav Rust 2.1.jpg (114.54 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
Dav Rust 3.1.jpg
Dav Rust 3.1.jpg (107.09 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
Dav Decal1.1.jpg
Dav Decal1.1.jpg (135.36 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
Dav Decal2.2jpg.jpg
Dav Decal2.2jpg.jpg (137.01 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

Latest update, now that I've sorted the bodywork and with another trackday booked for 06 October I thought I would crack on and fit the K1 engine that I bought a while ago, for those that don't know the K1 engine from the bike of the same name is a bit special, coming from the superbike it has lightened pistons, sodium filled valves, hot cams, modified 16v head, a 1.3k lighter crankshaft, and a motronic management system that can be chipped.

Mine has been chipped and I'm also running an exhaust made out of larger bore K1200 primary pipes so this engine, (which was from a dropped bike and only has 10K miles on it), should be good for 115 bhp, perhaps a bit more.

The K1, and all other K engines other than the K75 and K100 are aImage bit trickier to fit because the injectors fit into a manifold instead of directly into the head, so the tops of the throttle bodies terminate 30mm higher, on the plus side there is no air flow meter or ignition module so its a cleaner and easier install, the wiring is also simpler.

Tonight will be its first drive, I'll let you know how it goes.....

Photo of its naked rear with the K1 engine fitted
Tight Arse1.jpg
Tight Arse1.jpg (61.34 KiB) Viewed 4109 times
Teddie2003

Post by Teddie2003 »

Must be the camera angle, but that engine/exhaust looks huge!
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

It does look quite a lump, I think it must be the camera angle, it all fits under the standard shell, the silencer is quite a tight fit though