Fuel tank access / fitting fuel system for injection

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
Chris_Lincs

Fuel tank access / fitting fuel system for injection

Post by Chris_Lincs »

I've just bought a mk8 davrian & am looking to fit fuel injection, unfortunately as it currently has no return fuel line to the tank, I need access to the tank to fit the return lines & hopefully fuel gauges of some kind at the same time. What is the best way to get to the fuel tanks? & and what have others done regarding fitting return lines/injection & fuel gauges?

Thanks,
Chris
cheeser

Re: Fuel tank access / fitting fuel system for injection

Post by cheeser »

Chris,
Welcome to Davrian ownership.
I have a mk8 with mini engine so have no experience of fuel injection!
What I did take an interest in was this article by Dave Walker of Emerald Cams showing ways to get over certain problems with an A series Midget http://www.emeraldm3d.com/articles/midget_Project/
Using this type of setup would get over the major problem of digging out the tanks.
I'm guessing that your car is the one advertised on ebay and being located at Z cars, what engine will you be using?

Good luck
Robin
Chris_Lincs

Post by Chris_Lincs »

Hi Robin,
Thanks for both the welcome and the info. I've just had a look at that article, unfortunately still needs a return line from the swirl pot to the tank, what Dave describes is actually the same basic setup I run on my other toy (a robinhood 2b running a 1.6 zetec SE on throttle bodies). I also suspect with the small cross-section / vertical nature of the tanks, that baffles would not be necessary an the Davrian tanks.

With regards my car, yes it is the Davrian that was advertised on eBay, I picked it up on the bankholiday weekend just gone. With regards engine, I'm still looking into various possibilities. Initially I was thinking something like a 2.0 ford duratec, however the more I look at the car, the more I think the looks would suit the noise of a V6, I just hope I don't upset the handling with the weight. So far I've ruled a lot of V6's out due to to the distance the driveshaft centres to the front of the engine / back of passenger compartment bulkhead. I will keep you posted on the route I decide to take.
dickdixon1

Post by dickdixon1 »

Welcome - there is a thread on here somewhere about tank removal. Closest I can find is http://www.davrian.net/forum/viewtopic. ... hilit=tank

Engine - I think there is a V8 in one, Scooby might work....

I am coming up to Mkt Rasen in July to see my Dad, bit of a flying visit but will pm to see if possible to meet. I have a friend outside Grimsby who has a Mk 6 but don't think he is on the forum.

Cheers

Dick
Last edited by dickdixon1 on Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matnrach

Post by matnrach »

Chris,
I have injected my Mk8 A series
I did not have an issue as there appeared to be a return in each tank as you can see below

I did add a breather to the top of each tank which you cant see here

I used a swirl pot and two valves to control the return flow depending on what pump I use (I have one low pressure lifter pump per tank)
Seems to work very well

For info here is the engine

Regards,
Stuart
Chris_Lincs

Post by Chris_Lincs »

Thanks Dick,
Looks like as I suspected, it's a case of cutting through the fiberglass securing the arches to the wings, and going from there. Now do I really want that fuel gauge or should I put the return through the filler neck &'make do with a stick? Lol
Re. Meet; Yeah, if you let me know when your over &'we will see what we can arrange.

Hi Stuart,

That looks interesting, I've got one pipe from each tank coming out into the bonnet area, but thinking about it there is another "Breather" pipe from each tank coming out under the arch. With you saying you installed a breather, I wonder if you are using what I have as a breather for a return. How did you fit your breather? Is that the pipe I can see coming out the filler neck? Looks a neat solution you have there, I might investigate something very similar. Do you have a fuel gauge on yours?

I also see you have the front wings off there, are they removable on yours? Mine seem to be fiberglassed between the inner arch and the wing.

Chris.
P.s. I will try get some photos of mine tomorrow.
matnrach

Post by matnrach »

Chris,
I just glued a breather pipe in place as you can see with good quality engineering glue

The wings are part of a whole front clam section which is removable so I assume it is the same on yours

No I use the good old dipstick method for a gauge but if you bolt the lifter pumps to the rear of the front bulkhead you can hear them cavitate when it starts to run out of fuel, so you know its time to switch tanks or fill up! The collector pot gives a decent reserve range anyway.

I see you are in LIncoln and I am near Peterbourough so if you want to pop down just pm me

Stuart
edgedj

Post by edgedj »

I had new tanks made for my Mk6 by Tim's friend and they are both Tee'd together at the base with 6AN fittings which go to the fuel rail at the rear. The return from the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail goes to a line which is again Tee'd but this time goes to the top of each tank. The tanks are filled with blue mesh stuff (sure it has has a technical name but I don't know it) which lets the fuel trickle down without vapourising too much. You can see the return line fitting in this picture:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7 ... hoto%2cjpg

This is how the tanks are Tee'd together at the bottom but please note the return arrangement which I was trying here did not work and they are now just simply joined and jointly feed the pump:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7 ... hoto%2cjpg

Cheers
Dave
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

Regarding the need for a fuel gauge I followed the top tip of a member of this forum (apologies I forget who) and fitted a 1/4 turn tap in line on each tank and turn one off, when the open one starts running out I open the other tank and go for a fuel stop.
Chris_Lincs

Post by Chris_Lincs »

Thanks, I'd definitely prefer to avoid having to go to the extremes of cutting the tanks out if can avoided. I think I now hove a potential solution for the fuel return using the existing breather pipe and fitting a new breather in the filler neck.
This is the feed, however there's currently no return
This is the feed, however there's currently no return
image.jpg (125.51 KiB) Viewed 7362 times
Maybe this breather can be used for the return?
Maybe this breather can be used for the return?
image.jpg (115.88 KiB) Viewed 7362 times
Regarding a fuel gauge; using a changeover switch would definitely be the simplest, however I was wondering about using a hole saw to cut a hole in the fibreglass above the tanks & then having drained & filled the tanks with water cut a smaller hole for a gauge & fit the gauge using a captive ring with a notch taken out. This should allow it to be inserted through the hole (thus avoiding welding). Does anyone know if this is do-able, or is there potential issues I've not considered in doing this?

Chris

P.s.
Stuart, thank you for your offer; I would find it very helpful to see a complete mk8, I will pm you to so we can arrange something.