Race Davrian

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
Eyre

Race Davrian

Post by Eyre »

Hi all,
I've recently bought this car and was hoping that someone might be able to help with tracking down it's history. It was moved from shed to shed in Ireland since around 2005 when it was bought somewhere in England in it's current form (no engine/box, all wiring and plumbing removed, stripped interior etc).
I've been badgering Tim Duffee (who has been very helpful) with questions about it and options to rebuild it but we've still not got a full picture because it has no chassis plate. It was obviously originally Imp-engine, then possibly Ford and finally more recently it was butchered to fit a Fireblade engine.
It's sitting on an old set of Avon Formula 3 slicks and appears to have been lightened so seems to only have been a circuit car only in the past.
Obviously the bodywork could have been transplanted from another one but I'm hoping that that flared rear arches (which I really like) and the green and yellow stripe might stand out to someone.
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks in advance
Eyre
WP_20150403_18_16_09_Pro.jpg
WP_20150403_18_16_09_Pro.jpg (487.83 KiB) Viewed 8641 times
WP_20150403_18_15_36_Pro.jpg
WP_20150403_18_15_36_Pro.jpg (426.6 KiB) Viewed 8641 times
WP_20150403_18_16_15_Pro.jpg
WP_20150403_18_16_15_Pro.jpg (542.63 KiB) Viewed 8641 times
DavrianMk5

Re: Race Davrian

Post by DavrianMk5 »

Hello--you might already be aware-- but the wheels are nice Solar Mambas--very light and used a lot in the 1970's by racing cars. The 16 bolt rims are do not have a equispaced bolt pitch so be careful if ordering spare rims--Mike Barnby still supplies the rims if needed.
Eyre

Post by Eyre »

I wasn't aware of this but certainly appreciate the feedback thanks.Depending on what I use it for, it may need to be run on road legal tyres so Avon CR500s seem to be one of the few options, particularly for rear!
DavrianMk5

Post by DavrianMk5 »

Looking through some old pictures for something else, I noticed a picture of this car. I took the photo in the mid to late 1980's at Snetterton in the paddock where there were a few Davrians racing that day. There is a slim chance I might have a programme for that day--I seem to recall it was a 750 motor club kit car race?

Found the programme--it was racing in Race 7--Special GT challenge race 15th Oct 1989.
It was entered as driver was Jon Jeffery / George Green, also it was entered as a Davrian Mk8/Hartwell 998. There were 5 Davrians racing out of 12 cars entered!
Attachments
dav88.jpg
dav88.jpg (221.88 KiB) Viewed 8565 times
Last edited by DavrianMk5 on Thu May 14, 2015 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eyre

Post by Eyre »

Update: John Rawlins and Tim Duffee have managed to confirm the chassis number (51) and John has sent the picture below (thanks John). It was apparently originally sold to Tony Bridge but if anyone knows any more information or has any original photos I would certainly appreciate them.
Chiltern_Air_Freight-Mk8.jpg
Chiltern_Air_Freight-Mk8.jpg (39.42 KiB) Viewed 8561 times
Hal Mercier

Post by Hal Mercier »

Looks as if it has had flared rear arches added but it doesn't look like a full-on modsports body. Was it ever road registered?
Eyre

Post by Eyre »

Hi all,
Just thought I'd post an update on my Mk8. It's taking a lot longer than I would have liked but I haven't given up. The plan is to race it in the Historic Class here in Ireland which is a great class with a mix of all sorts of cars. One of the key requirements of the class is that the engine must be "period" but not necessarily as the car would have originally run. My car is the one that Jon Jeffries campaigned in the late eighties with a race Imp engine and box (pictured in the Davrian to Darrian book) so it has never been road registered and hasn't had an engine in it since 1989! After much research I decided to go with a Renault Crossflow engine as per Tim Duffees works rally car and the plan now is to eventually bring the engine up to the same spec as the works Alpine A110s with around 160bhp.
I got lucky sourcing an engine from a Renault 16TS along with a few spare bits (although would like to get a full spare engine if anyone knows of one that might be available) and did an initial top end rebuild. I also sourced a pair of Weber 45s and suitable inlet manifolds plus a race 4 -1 exhaust and a small Cherry Bomb silencer (although I suspect it won't stop it being fairly loud!). The engine and box are now fitted using a custom subframe made by Paul Heavey of Leastone Cars (Formula Vee and F4 builders). With the engine in but dry, the car currently weighs about 440Kg so I'm hoping to it should go well even allowing for a little more to be added and a 90Kg driver!
A big challenge has been getting a gear selector to work properly because this gearbox would have originally been up front and operated by a selector on the steering column. I have it working now although the spring that restricts access to reverse is so strong, it's bending the Steel selector rod so I've fitted a small 12v electric acutator to push it across the gate when reverse is needed and this works really well.
I gave up trying to repair the original Girling calipers and opted for Type 14 calipers all around with EBC Green Stuff at the rear and CL pads up front (I've CL pads in my race Porsche 924 and can testify to how much better they are than anything else I've tried). I've also modified the steering column to divert it away from between my feet and I've made up new PC windows. The plan for this winter is to finish the engine plumbing and wiring, sort out a seat, belts and the pedal box, plumb the brakes and finish all of the windows. Then I'll get the bodywork done (weighing up spraying or wrapping it, remembering that it's going to be used for racing so doesn't need to be concours standard!). Our season doesn't start until April and the Porsche just needs new tyres and a new clutch so I can focus on the Davrian until March with some more updates by then too.
20171014_231025.jpg
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

That looks the dogs bollox, good work and good luck with the next stage
clutchslip

Post by clutchslip »

Great work so far, looks like you've got the bit between your teeth, keep pushing on!

What capacity are you running the Renault lump at?
Eyre

Post by Eyre »

Thanks.
It's currently 1565cc but will go up to 1593cc when the new domed high CR pistons are in, although I've come across a German company that are building them up to 2.0 litre producing 200bhp with a lot of work! They're quoting more than the value of the car to build one though - the disadvantage of having an engine that is also used in Alpine A110s which are now selling for up to £100k!
Because it's an alloy engine and box, unlike a normal Ford Crossflow, I reckon it's similar in weight to an Imp setup but obviously with more power, torque and reliability, and parts are fairly plentiful in Europe. Quaife also do an LSD which I'll think about at some stage too!