vibrations/noise

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
edgedj

vibrations/noise

Post by edgedj »

Anyone got a solution to the cabin noise in a Davrian? Mine is quite harsh and rumbly throughout most of the rev range. I've improved things this weekend by isolating everything on the engine which touches the body and this has doubtless improved things.

Cheers
Dave
davrian6140

Re: vibrations/noise

Post by davrian6140 »

You can get a noise up through the gear lever, regrease the
finger bushes that usually goes the trick. Also gearbox rubber
mounts and engine mount at the back.
Hope that helps
Dave
Dave Cooper
davrian6140

Mk6a DAV 373H
dickdixon1

Post by dickdixon1 »

Ear plugs :D
edgedj

Post by edgedj »

I'm wondering if it's the A-frame transmitting vibrations. I might try wrapping it in heavy duty noisekiller and seeing if that helps. Point taken on the gear lever - that is attached to the engine and has potential to transmit undamped vibration to the cabin.

Earplugs has been the solution to date but I'm sure I can do better!
gtm4honda

Post by gtm4honda »

You want to be in mine at 9000rpm on vtec !!
edgedj

Post by edgedj »

I had a thought on this, I think the A frame is the prime culprit as that's the biggest difference from the Imp. So I'm thinking of ditching the A frame and replacing it with two pull rods onto the bulkhead where the A frame usually goes and putting two imps engine mounts on the body at those two places. I've never seen anything like this but hey...
dickdixon1

Post by dickdixon1 »

Have you tried a rubber gasket for between A frame and body? I guess it depends on how much you want to chase it through as the suspension mounting and tyre choice will also add to the 'experience'. Alternatives could be sound deadening panels in the 'boot ' area. Do you run a parcel shelf - that made a difference in mine - could always deaden the underside. Best of luck
edgedj

Post by edgedj »

I suppose one question would be has anyone sat in a quiet Davrian? A running one! I don't think tyre noise is the issue as when coasting if I flick the engine off it all goes quiet as you'd expect.
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

I'm yet to drive mine, however I was going to suggest a piece of rubber between the A frame and roll bar as it's an obvious noise short.

Should be interesting to compare it to my old G15 in this respect as the Ginetta was quite refined and very similar in that it just had a wall of GRP between the engine and cockpit which was in the case of my car covered with some thin carpet which probably did very little to deaden the noise.

Good news that you are keeping your beautiful Davrian, one of the best looking Dav's out there in my opinion, having owned a couple of desirable (to me) cars that I have been forced to sell I have always regretted it the minute they went up the road, I very much think that my Davrian is my last chance to own something like this that I have wanted so much for so long, so unless I do something stupid (like build another house and have to sell it, which why the Ginetta was sold) it will be remaining in my custody.
edgedj

Post by edgedj »

Thanks very much Nugget, the Davrian is in fact my first ever car too since it started life out as a Sunbeam Stiletto which rusted away finally and I bought what my father in law referred to for many years as a chicken coup (aka a knackered Mk3 Dav!). I've recently been inspired by a few of the Davrian restorations going on, yours included. I know I'm cutting against the grain a touch in trying to make the Davrian quiet but for me it's a really vital task. I recently took the turbo out and have gone back to just an R17 cam and normal aspiration but I'm toying with putting the turbo back and using a standard (yes standard) camshaft because with the sport camshaft it was pretty loopy on the old 875 block. Much real engineering needed to get it all right but it would be worth the hassle. After all making it quiet is going to add something like 10-20kgs.

Looking at a few photos of ginetta engine bays it looks like they triangulate a frame for the engine off the bottom of the main chassis and the top of the rear struts. I wish I knew more about sound engineering but I have the feeling that what a Davrian is, is in fact a giant mechanical speaker for the engine facing back into the cockpit! Does the following diagram look familiar!?!?!?

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... CCYQ_B0wAA