Thruxton 13th/14th August

...where can you take your Davrian next?
Teddie2003

Thruxton 13th/14th August

Post by Teddie2003 »

The CSCC are at Thruxton on 13th/14th August

Saturday has the older Classics
Swinging 60's
Future Classics
Classic K
and the Special Saloons and Modsports
plus the later Tin Tops

Might be Davrians out in Futures and in the Special Saloons.

A few of us from the Hants Imp Club are going along on the Saturday so any other takers?
Nugget

Re: Thruxton 13th/14th August

Post by Nugget »

Unfortunately I can't make it on the Saturday but might nip across on the Sunday if there is a chance of a Davrian racing.
mylesC

Post by mylesC »

I will be there racing on the Saturday in my Mk 8 in Future Classics. I think Jon Jeffries will also be out in hi Mk8 in the same race. See you there!
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

I'm starting to think I may need to cut my holiday short by 1 day, although I have promised myself a trip up to the Walter Hayes event in November (weather permitting).
Teddie2003

Post by Teddie2003 »

In case anybody is going.

There is a PDF with the provisional timetable for the weekend(in the latest news section) in case you do go on the Thruxton web site event info.
http://www.thruxtonracing.co.uk/racing/cscc

On the Saturday, there is a mid morning break where nothing will run and Special Saloons and Modsports and Future Classics have their practice sessions after that with the races in the afternoon.

Steve
Teddie2003

Post by Teddie2003 »

Sat 13th
In the Future Classics race only Myles 2 litre Mk8 was entered but he had some problems and didn’t get to practice at all in the morning.
This meant starting from the back of the grid in a 33 car race line up, with some great out-braking manoeuvres especially passing the Mach 1 Mustang into the chicane he was flying through the field of cars. I think he was up to 3rd or 4th and had set the 3rd fastest lap time when he had to stop just four laps from the end.

In the Special Saloons and Modsports race on Saturday the Imp engined Davrian special saloon of Kevin Cooper wasn’t entered.
So the only “family” car running at Thruxton was Ian Hall’s Darrian Wildcat T98 GTR.
The race programme said that this is Ian’s 50th year of competing and during this time he has in the past used a mini engined Davrian Mk7a along with a Mini Jem and a Sprite. Ian’s Darrian runs a 5995cc evolution of a Rover V8, god knows how you stretch a 3500cc to that size! It makes an 1120cc Imp engine seem quite a simple modification.

Ian qualified 2nd just behind the Modsport Lotus Elan of Paul Sibley but he made a better start and despite the rapid Modsport Midget of Chris Southcott chasing him for the first few laps, he held off the recovering Elan to win the race by 0.61 seconds and lapped at over 100mph.

On Sunday, because he won race 1 Ian had to start race 2 from 11th on the grid, but he still finished 4th just over 14 seconds behind the winning Elan.
This meant he then started race 3 from 3rd as the Elan then had to start from 11th. Ian won his second race of the weekend, this time he was just over three quarters of a second ahead of the Honda CRX Special Saloon of Thomas Carey.

The next race for both of these series is at Donington Park on the 3rd and 4th of September with the Futures racing on the 3rd and the Special Saloons and Modsports on both days.