Imp 998 16 valve WITH PHOTO!

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
Hal Mercier

Imp 998 16 valve WITH PHOTO!

Post by Hal Mercier »

Just come across an interesting Imp variant just built by a talented engineer. It's a 16 valve Imp 998, with crossflow head, revs to 13,500 and gives 175bhp.

Amazing old block, the Godiva firepump!

Last edited by Hal Mercier on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hal Mercier

Re: Imp 998 16 valve

Post by Hal Mercier »

Oh dear...some problem with the image!FlickR is now completely useless as a photo host platform...be warned!

I stuck the photo on one of my own websites for now.

In any case, I can't believe anyone could get 175bhp from a normally aspirated, carburetted 998 engine, and if they did, how long would it last on three main bearings?

I think someone's either deliberately been pulling my leg, or is not too in touch with reality.

However....does anyone recognise the head? I think it has to be a fairly recent 'bike unit.
plasticfantastic

Re: Imp 998 16 valve WITH PHOTO!

Post by plasticfantastic »

This looks alot like the engine i have just started to build, a standard 875cc imp block modified with peugeot 205 1.0l liners and a Kawasaki ZX7R head and pistons fitted.

I have been following a thread on the imp forum which is the only place i have seen it done but no one on there has finished their engine, so would love to know more about that one? or a link?

Cheers
Hal Mercier

Re: Imp 998 16 valve WITH PHOTO!

Post by Hal Mercier »

I was at the Limoges MotoExpo yesterday and talked with a guy who was there with a kneeler sidecar unit using an Imp engine. He mentioned a twincam 16 valve motor, and I told him about my virtual contact....and it turns out he knows the builder well! He has built several of these, it's a Kawa head, and all as stated!

I can't recall the name of the guy who built this engine, but will be visiting the sidecar racer, who is called Jean Haym, of HLM racing, based in Jarnac, Charente, so quite near me.

He's getting 110bhp out of a 998 Imp on 45DCOE Webers.....I said he could probably get the same on 40s, which he wants to try anyway.

Stupidly I didn't bring a camera. Jim Redman rode around the hall on the Honda 6, it was incredibly noisy as it echoed off the roof and walls....unbelievable racket.

Then some maniac fired up a JET engined bike out the back of the hall...